Saturday 9 August 2014

Healthy Granola

Granola is one of those things that I think is healthy...at least that's what I sit there and tell myself as I munch through my second giant bowl of the evening whilst watching Made in Chelsea. But so many of the shop-bought bags (my personal fave is Sainsbury's own-brand tropical granola) are full of sugar and actually pretty calorific. So I've come up with a recipe that goes slightly easier on the fat and calories but still tastes just as great. It's also going to be a lovely distraction when I get back in after going out tonight, and hopefully will stop me from doing my usual tipsy clear-out of the biscuit cupboard! 


 


Healthy Granola

Ingredients: 

  • 100g oats
  • 75g chopped mixed nuts (e.g peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pine nuts) 
  • 50g sunflower seeds 
  • 75g raisins
  • 3 dates (chopped) 
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup (you can get away with one if you're trying to be really healthy)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • Cooking oil spray


Method:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Weigh out all the dry ingredients (excluding the fruit) chopping any nuts into smaller pieces if necessary. Add all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
  • Squeeze half a lemon over the mix and stir in.
  • Add in the maple syrup, honey and cinnamon and stir in until everything is coated.
  • Spray a baking tray with a small amount of cooking oil then bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Take out every 5 minutes to toss the mix to avoid chunks burning. Keep an eye on the granola- it may take just under 20 minutes or a few minutes longer. Once the granola is a golden brown colour and feels fairly dry remove from the oven.
  • Stir in the raisins and dates and any other fruit you want to add. Dried apricots and banana chips can be a tasty addition. 
Notes:
  • Keeps in a airtight container for 2-3 weeks. 
  • Serve with yoghurt, milk or snack on it dry like I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment