Tuesday 16 September 2014

Quinoa Cups

I've got to admit I was sceptical about these when Sophie pulled the tray out of the oven. I mean, I had only learnt how to pronounce quinoa a week ago- I used to call it 'quin-o-a' - and was suspicious. Usually food that I've never ever heard of before is for good reason: because it's overly healthy tasteless food that no one has ever actually cooked with besides Gwyneth Paltrow. I mean, orzo pasta, for example?! The least pasta-like substance ever. It's like a weird rice that no one wants to eat. And kale? Don't get me started. It literally tastes like someone has pulled seaweed out of their fish tank. However I braved a taste and they're actually quite nice, and make a healthy lunch option or a good snack to take on the go.



Quinoa Cups 

Ingredients: (makes 12)

  • 70g uncooked quinoa
  • 350g water 
  • 35g leek
  • 45g red pepper
  • 45g courgette 
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g grated mozzarella cheese
  • 2 coriander leaves
  • 5 basil leaves 
  • 1/4 tsp oregano 

Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions. The amount of water in the ingredients list is an estimate- the packet may state more in which case follow the packet. It should take about 20 minutes to cook but again follow the packet. 
  • Chop up the vegetables and finely chop the basil and coriander leaves. 
  • Add all the ingredients together including the cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl and mix. Spoon even amounts into cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment